If you read our piece about the new insect hotel at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, then chances are you’ve got a hankering for your very own bug abode.
The good news is that insect hotels are easy (and cheap!) to make—in fact, they work best when made from natural materials found near your home. So check out these easy instructions and take a spin through 10 amazing insect hotels we found to get your inspiration and creativity flowing.
Happy building—and be sure to share your creation with us!
1. This artistic gem from built for the 2012 Muttersholtz Archi Festival in France.
2. This hotel on the grounds of Oxburgh Hall in North Norfolk, England is like something from The Hobbit.
3. This winner of the Cutest Hotel Award:
4. This creative way to use old tree stumps:
5. This hotel made from shipping pallets with a green roof:
6. This hotel which sits on the roof of the another hotel (the Fairmont Royal York Hotel in Canada):
7. This cute, small hotel built by a cute, small person:
8. This amazing structure in a fruit tree orchard:
9. This impressively symmetrical job from London:
10. These small but mighty hotels, perfect for a New York City dweller:
Photo credit: Rue de Belvedere