We are a coastal city of islands but it’s so easy to forget that amidst all the concrete.
And because we share our vast coastline and waterways with other cities, City of Water Day extends across the Hudson River. The centers of activity for Saturday’s festivities are Governors Island and Maxwell Place Park in Hoboken, New Jersey, with free ferries running between both locations.
Celebrations will also be taking place throughout the five boroughs, in Yonkers, and in New Jersey. All of Saturday’s events are scheduled between 10am and 4pm.
Celebrate our coastal front yard by jumping in a kayak, taking a boat tour, touching a crab, or just enjoying the waterfront breeze- whether it’s in your neighborhood or in the thick of it all on Governors Island.
And check out the Metropolitan Waterfront Alliance website to find out about other waterfront activities this summer.
City of Water Day 2015 activities include
- Free boat tours on ferries, schooners, fireboats, tall ships, and tugboats
- A “heart-stopping” Cardboard Kayak Race
- Free on-water rowing, kayaking, and sailing demonstrations and lessons
- Special children’s activities
- Waterfront Activity Fairs on Governors Island and in Maxwell Place Park, Hoboken
There are more than two dozen City of Water Day locations throughout the five boroughs, Yonkers, and New Jersey. Shoreline locales include:
- Lincoln Ave and 132nd Street
- Hunts Point Riverside Park
- Barretto Point Park
- Bronx River at Concrete Plant Park
- Kaiser Park
- Gowanus Bay Terminal
- Bushwick Inlet Park/N 15th Street
- Bushwick Inlet/56 Quay Street
- Whole Foods (Gowanus)
- Jamaica Bay & Paerdegat Basin
- Brooklyn Bridge Park/Pier 2 Floating Dock
- North Cove Marina at Brookfield Place
- Piers 25, 40, and 66 in Hudson River Park
- 71st Street Pier/Riverside Park
- West Harlem Piers
- Randall’s Island
- Pier 42/East River
- Hallets Cove
- Gantry Plaza State Park
- Staten Island
- National Lighthouse Museum
- Alice Austen House
- Groundwork Hudson Valley Science Barge
- Beczak Environmental Educational Center
- New Jersey
- Overpeck County Park (Bergen County)
- Laurel Hill Park (Secaucus)
See you on the water!